This is an interactive course and you do not have to be at our physical campus to take the course. It can be done from any place with an internet connection.
- Course duration: 12 weeks
- Registration deadline: January 30, 2023
- Course start date: January 2, 2023
- Course extension: Available for an admin fee
The Botanical Functional Medicine 1 course is an online exploration into both functional medicine and clinical herbalism. This class is taught by Dr. Kyla Helm (MD) and Sam Coffman and is focused heavily on case studies and clinical experience in working with chronic disease using an integrative approach to medicine.This course includes assessment/diagnosis, herbal and orthodox protocols and treatments, a materia medica of over 100 herbs for specific dysfunction covered in the curriculum, nutrition, numerous case studies, homework and quizzes. This course will have up to 4 hours of video lectures and lessons per week in addition to live interactive Q&A sessions.
Botanical Functional Medicine covers 24 hours of course material, 8 hours of live interactive student study sessions and 6 hours live interaction instructor sessions. Total of 38 contact hours.
Recommended prerequisite for this course is the “Introduction to Nutrition” course at our school or an equivalent. Botanical Functional Medicine 1 addresses several topics to include:
- Introduction to botanical functional medicine
- Cellular imbalance
- Systems biology as an approach to medicine
- Common nutrient deficiencies
- Fatigue and exhaustion
- Organ system triad 1: Adrenal, Pancreas, Thyroid
- Sports Nutrition
- Mitochondrial dysfunction
- Oxidative stress
- Understanding and working with blood, urine and saliva tests